MOROCCAN GINGER-CARROT SALAD (from The Blooming Glen Beet)
Makes about 4 cups
|Photo courtesy of The Blooming Glen Beet.|
1 bunch of carrots, grated (about 3 cups)
1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and grated
1 clove garlic, peeled and grated
Juice from 1 lemon
4 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp honey
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 dash ground cinnamon
Salt to taste
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 handful fresh parsley, chopped
- Peel and grate carrots into a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together ginger, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, honey, cumin, paprika, cinnamon and salt. Pour over carrots and toss to combine.
- Add coconut, walnuts and parsley. Toss again and serve.
COUSCOUS WITH SHALLOTS, GARLIC AND ALMONDS (from America's Test Kitchen)
3 Tbsp unsalted butter
3 shallots, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups couscous
1 cup water
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 tsp salt
Pepper to taste
3/4 cup toasted sliced almonds
3/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
1/2 tsp lemon zest, grated
2 tsp lemon juice
- Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shallots; cook, stirring frequently, until softened and lightly browned, about 5 min. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add couscous and cook, stirring frequently, until grains are just beginning to brown, about 5 min.
- Add water, broth and salt and stir briefly to combine. Cover and remove pan from heat. Let stand until grains are tender, about 7 min.
- Uncover and fluff grains with a fork. Stir in pepper, almonds, parsley, zest and juice just before serving.