Escarole with Bacon and White Beans (from Cooking Light)
2 bacon slices, chopped (or more if you want)
1 cup onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
6 cups escarole, chopped (equivalent to a 16 oz head)
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 (14 oz) can less-sodium chicken broth
1 (16 oz) can cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained
- Cook bacon in a large saucepan over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan with a slotted spoon, reserving 2 tsp drippings in pan; set bacon aside.
- Add onion to bacon fat in pan; cook 12 min or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic; cook 2 min, stirring frequently.
- Add escarole and cook 2 minutes or until wilted, stirring frequently.
- Add sugar, salt, pepper and broth. Cook 15 min or until escarole is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add beans; cook for 2 min or until heated through.
- Sprinkle with bacon and serve.