Want to find more information about Dinner's Done Personal Chef Service?
Call: 215-804-6438
Email: DinnersDonePA@comcast.net
Visit: www.DinnersDonePA.com
Sign up for my monthly e-newsletter: Click Here

COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME! LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!

Friday, October 14, 2011

Happy NCCI Day!

I don't know how these "national" days are established, but apparently, October 14 is National Chocolate-Covered Insects Day! 

Chocolate-Covered Crickets (courtesy of
declubz.com).
Have you ever tried these crunchy little snacks?  To be honest, I can't remember if I have or not.  I have a very clear recollection of someone bringing chocolate-covered grasshoppers in to my first grade class.  This could be true or totally be some dream I had.  If there are any of my first grade classmates out there, do you remember that? 

Anyway, from what I understand (or remember), insects are very crunchy and have a nutty flavor.  And they're actually pretty nutritious, too--lots of protein.  I guess covering them in chocolate sort of defeats the healthy-food aspect of them. 

As I've written before (see my post, Bug Off), people all over the world eat insects rather routinely.  Here in the refined US, however, it's gross to most people.  I wouldn't have a problem with ants or crickets (which seem to be the most common chocolate-covered bugs you find).  It's those big gooey ones--big spiders or grubs or things like that--that might make me pause.

But come on, why not give it a try on this special day! 

Here's just a few places you can buy them:

No comments:

Post a Comment