Want to find more information about Dinner's Done Personal Chef Service?
Call: 215-804-6438
Email: DinnersDonePA@comcast.net
Visit: www.DinnersDonePA.com
Sign up for my monthly e-newsletter: Click Here

COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME! LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Sornoran Hot Dogs

There are very few things that I don't like to eat.  But if you know me, you probably know that one of the things that I've never liked are hot dogs. 

I know, I know.  How can such a baseball fan not like tube steaks?  To be honest, when I'm at a game, I feel like I SHOULD be eating one, but just can't do it.

Some think I don't eat them because of what goes into them, but I remind them that I love scrapple and there's just as scary stuff in that as there is in franks.  I simply don't like the taste of hot dogs.

                                          AP Photo/John Miller
But I just ran across a hot dog that even I might want to eat.  A Sonoran hot dog--it originated in Sonora, Mexico--that is now a huge food attraction in Arizona.  There are over 100 Sonora hot dog stands/restaurants/carts in Tucson.  People can't get enough of them.

According to an article from the North County Times in California:
It sounds like the sort of thing frat boys would dare each other to eat ---- a hot dog wrapped in bacon, stuffed in a puffy roll, then smothered in pinto beans, onions, tomatoes, mustard, jalapeno sauce, cheese, maybe a few crumbled potato chips sprinkled on top.
That sounds like my kind of dog. 

Unlike traditional hot dog buns, a Sonoran uses a bolillo, a Mexican bread that is sort of torn open--with the ends intact--to form a little boat that holds the wiener and all the toppings.  The bacon is wrapped around the dog to make a "meaty candy cane" and grilled.  As you might expect, in addition (or in place) of the toppings listed above, folks are offered all sorts of toppings including pineapple, chorizo, shrimp, avocado and sour cream.

Does it sound like something you'd eat?  Maybe I should take a trip to Tucson (I have friends there) and find out more.  Then look for me in my sombrero and hot dog cart on a corner near you!

No comments:

Post a Comment