Well, at my Blooming Glen Farm demo last week, I made a delicious dish using zucchini and the wonderful tomatoes and herbs that are available now. This should help you out of that zucchini rut. And it doesn't get much better when you use farm-fresh veggies!
GRILLED ZUCCHINI SALAD WITH ROASTED TOMATO VINAIGRETTE (adapted from Hot and Sticky BBQ by Ted Reader)
6 plum tomatoes
5 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
4 Tbsp balsamic vinegar, divided
1 Tbsp garlic, chopped
1 Tbsp oregano, chopped
Salt and pepper
4 zucchini, sliced lengthwise into 1/2" thick slices
1 large sweet onion, sliced into 1/2" thick slices
1/4 cup basil, chopped
2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Clean grill grates.
- Place tomatoes on grill. Reduce heat to medium and roast, turning occasionally, 10-15 min or until charred and tender. They will be soft and the skins will split. Remove from grill and let cool. Remove skins and place tomatoes in food processor.
- To the tomatoes, add 3 Tbsp oil, 2 Tbsp vinegar, garlic and oregano. Pulse until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Place the zucchini and onion on a sheet pan or in a large bowl. Toss with 2 Tbsp oil, 2 Tbsp vinegar and salt and pepper to taste. Oil grill grate and grill vegetables for 10-15 min or until tender and slightly charred. Remove and let cool slightly. Chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Transfer zucchini and onion to a bowl. Add vinaigrette, toss and season to taste. Garnish with basil and Parm.