Want to find more information about Dinner's Done Personal Chef Service?
Call: 215-804-6438
Email: DinnersDonePA@comcast.net
Visit: www.DinnersDonePA.com
Sign up for my monthly e-newsletter: Click Here

COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME! LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Swiss Chard with Pine Nuts and Raisins

When I do demos at Blooming Glen Farm, people often ask what to do with Swiss chard.  My old standby is just to saute it with some onion and garlic.  It's really good that way.  But for my demo last week, I wanted to find a different way to prepare chard.

I found an interesting idea in an old Cooking Light magazine that I tweaked a little bit and it came out great.  It's a raw preparation--the leaves marinate to tenderize a little bit.  It's very summery--fresh tasting and doesn't heat up your kitchen!  Even kids will like it.  My son, Jake, who isn't crazy about cooked greens, really loved it.


SWISS CHARD WITH PINE NUTS AND RAISINS (adapted from Cooking Light magazine)
Serves 4

INGREDIENTS
1 1/4 lb Swiss chard, leaves removed, stems reserved for another use
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 cup raisins
2 Tbsp pine nuts, toasted

  • Slice the chard leaves crosswise into very thin shreds.  Place in a large bowl.
  • Whisk together the juice, oil, salt and pepper.  Drizzle over the chard and toss.  Add raisins and nuts.  Toss to combine.
  • Let stand about 15 min before serving.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Rich, I may try this. Do you think walnuts would sub for pine nuts?

    ReplyDelete