We all know that eating healthy food helps to fend off disease, allows your body to work better and is a building block to an overall healthier life. But what are healthy foods, anyway?
Well, there are fruits and vegetables that give vitamins and minerals needed by our bodies. Milk has calcium that helps to build strong bones. There's the cancer-fighting compounds in olive oil and red wine. Every time we turn on the TV or radio, it seems there's another report about what to eat or not.
1. Cherries--one of my favorite fruits. They're full of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.
3. Kiwifruit. Provides 115% of your daily recommended amount of Vitamin C.
6. Flax Seed. Another great source of omega-3 fatty acids as well as the cancer-fighter, lignans. It's also a great source of fiber.
7. Whey Protein Powder--a byproduct of cheese making. It's a great source of protein and has been known to stimulate the immune system.
9. Coconut--yes, coconut. It's high in a fat called MCT (Medium-Chain Triglycerides) that the body doesn't store, it turns it into energy, like a carbohydrate. It also contains lauric acid, a fatty acid known to kill pathogens.
So there you have it--some more items to look for next time you're at the market that will help you live a healthier and tastier life!