Want to find more information about Dinner's Done Personal Chef Service?
Call: 215-804-6438
Email: DinnersDonePA@comcast.net
Visit: www.DinnersDonePA.com
Sign up for my monthly e-newsletter: Click Here

COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME! LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Use Your Brain to Feed the Hungry!

I read in the paper today about a website called Free Rice, which is part trivia game, part learning experience, part charity.

                               Courtesy of FreeRice.com.
In a nutshell, you answer trivia questions (you can choose the subjects) and with every correct answer, 10 grains of rice are donated by the site sponsors to feed the world's hungry.  If you answer correctly, the questions get progressively harder.  If you answer incorrectly, they back off a little bit. 

At first I thought that it was a little gimmicky--10 grains of rice?  Big deal.  But in the course of about 5 minutes, I had donated hundreds of grains of rice.  You multiply that by the many people playing the game and you've got a load of rice.  At no cost to you except the use of some brain matter.

I read how it costs about 25 cents to feed a hungry child enough to give them their daily nutritional needs.  Then I think about all the food that I've written about lately--Thanksgiving, farmers' markets, Maine lobster, etc.  We can take a few minutes out once in a while to help feed the billion people in this world who need food. 

It's free and it's fun!  Let me know what you think about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment